Revision as of 16:21, 12 September 2013 by Mahrens (move OSX related content from main page)
- 2001 - Development of ZFS starts at Sun Microsystems with 2 engineers.
- 2005 - Source code released as part of OpenSolaris.
- 2006 - Development of FUSE port for Linux started.
- 2007 - Apple began porting ZFS to MacOS X
- 2008 - Port to FreeBSD released as part of FreeBSD 7.0.
- 2008 - Development of native Linux port started.
- 2009 - Apple's ZFS port closed; the MacZFS project continued to develop the code
- 2010 - OpenSolaris is discontinued. Further development of ZFS on Solaris is no longer open source.
- 2010 - illumos is founded as the truly open source successor to OpenSolaris, and continues to develop ZFS in the open. Ports of ZFS to other platforms continue porting upstream changes from illumos.
- 2012 - Feature flags are introduced to replace legacy on-disk version numbers, enabling easier distributed evolution of the ZFS on-disk format to support new features.
- 2013 - alongside the stable version of MacZFS, ZFS-OSX uses ZFS on Linux as a basis for the next generation of MacZFS
- 2013 - the first stable release of ZFS on Linux
- 2013 - OpenZFS project is officially announced.