Welcome to OpenZFS
OpenZFS was announced in September 2013 as the truly open source successor to the ZFS project. Our community brings together developers from the illumos, FreeBSD, Linux, and OS X platforms, and a wide range of companies that build products on top of OpenZFS.
OpenZFS is an outstanding storage platform that encompasses the functionality of traditional filesystems, volume managers, and more, with consistent reliability, functionality and performance across all distributions:
|ZFS on Linux||Webpage||GitHub|
|OpenZFS on OS X||Webpage||GitHub|
Upcoming Event: ZFS User Conference
The first ZFS User Conference will be held March 16-17, 2017, in Norwalk CT. This conference will focus on the deployment, administration, and tuning of the ZFS filesystem. Registration is open, and talk proposals are being accepted now. More information is available here: zfs.datto.com
OpenZFS Developer Summit 2016 <= click for details
The fourth annual OpenZFS Developer Summit was held in San Francisco, September 26-27th, 2016. Check out the following blog posts about the event:
- Delphix Blog: Thank you OpenZFS 2016 Developers Summit Sponsors!
- iXsystems Blog: OpenZFS: Stronger Than Ever
Click on the title of the presentation for more details.
|State of the Union||Matt Ahrens||Delphix||Video||Slides|
|Lustre, Supercomputers, and ZFS||Brian Behlendorf||LLNL||Video||Slides|
|ZFS and Containers||Michael Crogan||Video||Slides|
|Channel Programs||Sara Hartse & Chris Williamson||Delphix||Video||Slides|
|ZFS First Mount||Mark Shellenbaum||Oracle||Video||Slides|
|Scrub/Resilver Performance||Saso Kiselkov||Nexenta||Video||Slides|
|ZFS-Native Encryption||Tom Caputi||Datto||Video||Slides|
|Fault Management||Don Brady & Justin Gibbs||Intel & FreeBSD Foundation||Video||Slides|
|ZFS Validation & QA||Sydney Vanda & John Salinas||Intel||Video||Slides|
Thanks to the 2016 Platinum sponsors for their support!
The high-level goals of OpenZFS are:
- to raise awareness of the quality, utility, and availability of open source implementations of ZFS
- to encourage open communication about ongoing efforts to improve open source ZFS
- to ensure consistent reliability, functionality, and performance of all distributions of ZFS.
The main technical goal of OpenZFS is easier sharing of code between platforms. Strategies include:
- creating a platform-independent mailing list for developers to review ZFS code and architecture changes from all platforms
- smoothing the illumos integration process
- making it easy to run both ztest and the ZFS test suite (TestRunner or STF based) on each platform
- reducing code differences between the platforms.
September 2016: OpenZFS Developer Summit 2016 will be held September 26-27th in San Francisco.
October 2015: Slides and video from the OpenZFS Developer Summit 2015 are posted.
June 2015: Videos from the OpenZFS European Conference are posted.
- How to participate
- Companies with products that are based on OpenZFS
- Download distributions that include OpenZFS
- Events – the forthcoming OpenZFS Developer Summit and more
- Developer resources
- Documentation for users/sysadmins
- About OpenZFS
All main pages (alphabetical order) …